Why “Somebody’s Watching Me” by “Rockwell” is the most 80s song of all time (or at least the most 80s song of the 80s)
1. One-hit wonder in a big way. What happened to Rockwell?
2. One-name wonder. Like Sting, Slash, Prince, and Madonna.
3. It’s paranoid.
4. Half-assed rapping integrated into a pop song in the manner of Blondie’s “Rapture” or Murray Head’s “One Night in Bangkok.”
5. Michael Jackson sings on it. The still-black Michael Jackson.
6. It appears in the pilot of Miami Vice.
Askew geometric objects, primary colors, fake pink paint splatters, and severe, post-1970s hair.
For the next 2 hours, Cristy is hosting a women’s rock show called “Ladies of the Eighties” on Womyn Making Waves, streaming on http://weft.org/. I am on hand to select Yaz songs. Download this revisionist nostalgia in then-inconceivable podcast form.
We think, under the hair, this is Yaz.
A few episodes of Rock Geek FM have come and gone since my last posting here – string sections, Joe Boyd, songs with brass – but I wanted to post the show we did with Rick Halberg on April 28: Psychedelic Soul
This Saturday Cristy and I have a DUEL. That is right. We are in disagreement over which one of us graduated from high school in a better year for rock.
1987 vs. 1996 pt. 1 / 1987 vs. 1996 pt. 2